After forty years of abandonment, the Loew’s Kings Theatre in Flatbush will re-open in January 2015 with newly restored interiors and 3,000 seats, according to a press release spotted by Gothamist. The theater will host more than 200 performances a year across a variety of genres, including comedy, theater, dance, and popular music. Designed by Rapp and Rapp, the theater opened in 1929 and featured high curved ceilings, ornate plater walls, gold-leaf ornament and crystal chandeliers, all of which have been restored or faithfully recreated.
Martinez+Johnson Architecture, who have restored historic theaters across the country, are leading the two-year-long restoration project. The theater closed its doors in 1977, was acquired by the city in 1983, and sat collecting dust at 1027 Flatbush Avenue until restoration work began last year. GMAP
Name: Originally Rubel Coal and Ice Corporation, now drug rehab clinic. Address: 937 Fulton Street Cross Streets: Corner Waverley Avenue Neighborhood: Clinton Hill Year Built: 1928 Architectural Style: Neo-classical Architect: Edward M. Adelsohn Other Buildings by Architect: Jewish Orphan Asylum, New Hebrew School–Brownsville (both gone), Temple Petach Tikvah in Crown Heights, Brooklyn Hygeia Ice Plant, Brooklyn Hebrew Maternity Hospital, row houses, commercial buildings, stores in Brownsville, Crown Heights and other areas of Brooklyn and Queens. Landmarked: No
The story: In 1907, Samuel Rubel could be found hauling his pushcart through the streets of Brownsville selling ice. He later began carrying coal, in season, as well. He was a fixture in this new Jewish immigrant community, and he managed to make a living for his family, one cartful of these lifesaving elements at a time. Twenty-some years later, he was the owner of Brooklyn’s largest coal and ice business. His company had assets of over $40 million, with 134 coal and ice branches across every borough except Staten Island. He had a staff of over 400 people, and the coal and ice was delivered in 800 Rubel trucks. In 1927, he decided it was time to build a new headquarters in a more central part of Brooklyn. (more…)
Benefits Cosmetics has just rented a space on Court Street in Cobble Hill. The San Francisco-based company founded by two sisters in 1976 is now a subsidiary of Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessey. There are Benefit Cosmetics locations in Manhattan, Los Angeles, London, Frankfurt and Hong Kong among others. This is the is the company’s first Brooklyn outlet.
The shop at 168 Court Street will occupy the 600 square foot retail space and also have access to a large basement and a back yard. Benefit expects to open by the end of the year. (more…)
Finding a bumper crop of new rental properties from Brownstoner’s Upstate listings is a bit like Christmas in August. And who else but us would tittering with joy over new rental listings? Perhaps you would. Let’s find out by showing you a bunch of cool stuff we found in Columbia County (east of Hudson, north of Dutchess County).
Although Brooklyn had a thriving theater district downtown, many neighborhoods also had fine theaters in their own areas, with entertainment venues on main streets near public transportation. Bedford was a large neighborhood blessed with several major thoroughfares running through it – plenty of opportunities for clubs, theaters and entertainment halls. The economic center of Bedford was around the intersection of Fulton Street and Nostrand Avenue, so it’s not surprising that there were quite a few theaters in that area. In theater’s heyday, the early 20th century, one of the finest establishments was the Fulton Theater.
The theater stood at 1283 Fulton Street, near the corner of Nostrand Avenue. It was designed by one of New York City’s finest theater architects, John B. McElfatrick. He was responsible for some of the city’s best theater buildings, including today’s BAM Harvey Theater and Manhattan’s New Victory Theater on 42nd Street. Many are now gone, but he designed well over a hundred theaters, plus other buildings, all across the country. (more…)
Two buildings on St Johns Place between Nostrand and Rogers Avenues in Crown Heights have gotten vertical extensions and completely new facades over the last few months. Workers have installed windows and recently started interior work. The two buildings at 820 and 822 St. Johns Place have expanded from three stories to five.
When work finishes, 820 will have seven apartments and 822 will house nine apartments, according to alteration permits filed last year. Armstrong Funeral Home occupied both buildings until it sold them to an LLC last year for $1,750,000, according to public records.
A tipster let us know about a truly bizarre problem in their Fort Greene apartment building. Apparently someone in the building at 301 Cumberland Street has been dumping trash bags full of urine down the garbage chute. And these are not tiny trash bags, they are the kind used in kitchen garbage cans and they are half full of urine–yes we have a picture of the offending bags after the jump.
According to the tipster this has been going on since about November of 2013 with bag after pee-filled bag bursting at the bottom of the chute or leaking after it lands. The basement now reeks of urine and is becoming unusable. Unfortunately the building’s laundry room is also located in the basement. “Our basement has become a truly foul place to go,” said the tipster. (more…)
Residents of the Lindsay Park Housing Cooperative in Williamsburg are petitioning to change the practices of the board of directors at one of the city’s largest middle-income housing co-ops according to a report by DNAinfo. They accuse the board of rigging elections, mismanagement and harassment. The petitioners, including the Community Board 1 chairwoman, say the flawed election process has kept the board president in power for a dozen years. (more…)