by
1

This week, a few workers were on site at 42-10 Vernon Boulevard, the 1892 building that served as the office for New York Architectural Terra-Cotta Works and is now an abandoned landmark. The DOB issued permits for general remedial repairs earlier this year, although the historically decrepit building needs more TLC than that. A few years ago, Silvercup Studios planned to build a studio on the lot behind the building and restore the Vernon Boulevard landmark. Plans stalled after the economic downturn. Public records do not show any recent sales of this building; it fell into disrepair after CitiBank purchased it in 1970. It looks like CitiBank unloaded it to the entity “Terra Cotta LLC” in 1999. Here’s hoping that the current construction work serves more purpose than to simply keep the building standing, although we doubt it… GMAP

by
2

After an apocalyptic fire in 1886, the New York Architectural Terra-Cotta Works needed a new headquarters. One that befit its role as the preeminent manufacturer of architectural ceramics.

Built in 1892 as an office for the company that supplied terra-cotta for Carnegie Hall and the Ansonia Hotel, among others. The company went out of business in the 1930s, and the building became vacant. It was eventually bought in 1965 by Citibank. Its ruins can be found at 42-10 – 42-16 Vernon Avenue, across the street from the sumptuous hedonism of the newly opened Ravel Hotel, and next door to the venerable and recently feted span of the centuried Queensboro Bridge.

Two and one half stories, the structure is actually the front office of an industrial complex that was once surrounded by a 12 foot high wall of brick, which enclosed an open storage yard, a 5 story factory, and the kilnworks one would expect to find at such a large endeavor.