Editor’s note: This story originally ran in 2010 and has been updated. You can read the previous post here.
This fanciful French chateau was built for Stuyvesant Heights’ growing middle class population, at a time when apartment living was becoming popular. The Clermont Apartments, at 79-81 Decatur Street, was built in 1900 and designed by Montrose Morris.
Made of brick, limestone and pressed metal trim, the Clermont is Morris’ second and better attempt at French Gothic.
A darker but similar apartment building by Morris stands on Clinton Avenue between Fulton and Atlantic Avenues. This building on Decatur Street has a strong street presence greatly enhanced by a 2003 restoration by Danois Architects, PC, and is now an eight-unit co-op building.
Not included in the original Stuyvesant Heights Historic District in 1971, it was finally designated as part of the expanded Stuyvesant Heights Historic District in 2013.
[Photos by Susan De Vries]
- The Fanciful Bed Stuy Row Houses of a Little Known Architect
- The Story of Brooklyn’s Lady Developers, Architects and Builders
- The Wood Frame Villa of MacDonough Street