by

As the demographics of central Brooklyn have changed over the years, synagogues in once heavily Jewish areas have gone on to have other lives. Ellen Levitt, author of “The Lost Synagogues of Brooklyn” will lead a bike tour of former Jewish houses of worship in Crown Heights, Brownsville and East Flatbush next Sunday.

Many are now churches and retain many of their original details. Participants will visit the former Shaari Zedek at 221 Kingston Avenue (pictured above) and the former Congregation Men of Justice at 1678 Park Place, a Building of the Day last year.