There’s unique. There’s really unique. There’s incredibly unique. And then there’s the new Dance in Queens program at Flushing Town Hall. Over six Thursdays, this six-part lecture-and-dance workshop series will get participants walking, talking, moving, and grooving to Chinese, Mexican, Korean, and Indian music and immigrant experiences.
The fun begins on July 9, when Jack Eichenbaum, the official Queens historian, leads a walking tour through Flushing with an emphasis on observing and discussing the neighborhood’s historic houses and modern day diversity. The rest of the schedule follows.
- July 16: Queens Chinese Immigration and Dance Workshop with Ling Tang, who will teach traditional ribbon dance.
- July 23: Mexican Immigration to New York and Dance Workshop with Alberto Lopez, co-founder of Calpulli Mexican Dance Company.
- July 30: Flushing’s Koreatown and Dance Workshop with Song Hee Lee, who will discuss her personal story from principal dancer at the Pusan Metropolitan Dance Company in Korea to launching her own troupe in NYC. She will also teach sogo chum (small hand-drum dance).
- August 6: Little India and Dance Workshop with Abha Roy, who will teach kathak, a classic dance form of northern India.
- August 13: Artists from the series will participate in a “Talk-Back and Tasting” with finger food.
Details: Dance in Queens, Flushing Town Hall, 137-35 Northern Boulevard, Flushing, July 9, July 16, July 23, July 30, August 6, August 13, tour starts at 6:30 pm, workshops start at 7 pm, $12/$6 for children.
Photo: Flushing Town Hall
This Friday, all are invited to bring a mat and enjoy sunset yoga in Flushing Town Hall’s garden. Yumcha Yoga Studio teachers will lead a series of poses, followed by kirtan singing from the Indian bhakti devotional tradition. Inner peace will certainly be in the air, but the event will also informally kick off the Northern Boulevard venue’s summer activities program. This jam-packed schedule includes dance performances and concerts featuring R&B, Jazz, country, drumming, and African-based music. Details are on the jump page.