The building, a picturesque 1892 red brick and brownstone Romanesque Revival, began a controversial redevelopment in 2019 that added three stories and removed a bell tower.
Located at 70 Havemeyer Street, on the corner of North 5th Street, the project will add 48 units and three stories to the building, bumping it up from four to seven.
The project involves removing the historic roof and bell tower and adding a modern structure on top.
A rare and distinctive late Victorian Romanesque Revival building, part of a complex of three, may soon lose its roof and historic character to development.
The BOTD is a no-frills look at interesting structures of all types and from all neighborhoods. There will be old, new, important, forgotten, public, private, good and bad. Whatever strikes our fancy. We hope you enjoy.
Address: 70 Havemeyer Street, corner of North 5th St.
Name: Church of the Annunciation School
Year Built: 1889-1893
Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival
Unknown F.J. Berlenbach, Jr.
Why chosen: Look Ma, Williamsburg! This is a great old school and a great introduction to Williamsburg. The school was built by the Church of the Annunciation, which is just across the street, and they also had a convent and an orphan asylum nearby. The church will be covered here at another time, but was founded by German Catholic immigrants who settled much of Williamsburg in the mid 19th century. The congregation started to plan for the school and raise funds in 1889, and the premits were issued in 1893. It was run by the Sisters of St. Dominic, this particular group of Dominican sisters were from Regensburg, Bavaria, and they lived next door in their convent. Their building is now condos. The school was in existence until 1973, and has an alumni website. The building itself is a classic Victorian pile, with large windows, and a very nice corner tower with a turret and bell tower, dormers and some very well done long arched windows. The tower face sports elegant carved signage in Latin with the name of the school. The font is really great, as is the delicate carved ornament. Today the school is an alternative learning center for children and home to the Williamsburg Northside Preschool Annex.