Since 2006, the LaGuardia Performing Arts Center’s Lab Residency Program has nurtured more than 50 artists and organizations. It’s time to celebrate. From March 26th through April 2nd, this incubator for creative types will host the Rough Draft Festival to showcase work by residents and offer a window into their artistic processes. Attendees can enjoy plays, the spoken word and even theatre workshops followed by interactive Q&A sessions with the creators. The schedule follows:
- March 26th, Built For Collapse Workshop, 2:30 pm, Main Stage Theater, a series of exercises explaining the five bio-energetic structures and their relationship to emotional storytelling through performance.
- March 26th, New Play Development Reading, 7 pm, Little Theater, Babies Just Roll by LPAC resident Kathryn Hathaway.
- March 27th, Visual Storytelling through Physical Performance, 10:30 am, Dance Studio, theater-making via developing tools to create original work and applying them to bodies in space.
- March 27th, New Play Development Reading, 7 pm, Little Theater, Christina Martinez by LPAC Resident Dan McCabe.
- March 28th, Unstaged: A Playwriting and Performance Experiment, 3 pm to 9 pm, co-curated by Audrey Dimola and Tyler Rivenbark, ten playwrights will be paired with small groups of performers to write, rehearse, and stage individual short plays on the spot.
- March 29th, RED WEDNESDAY, Work-in-Progress, 7 pm, Little Theater, inspired by the controversial story of Sadegh Ghotbzadeh, Iran’s Foreign Minister during the 1979 hostage crisis, and written by his great-niece, this play unpacks core issues between Iran, the U.S. and global interests.
- April 2nd, Writing Workshop with New Play Development curator Francine Volpe, Little Theater, 2:30 pm. Volpe is a playwright, screenwriter and dramaturge who received her B.F.A. from New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts in Dramatic Writing and was later the recipient of a two-year Lila Acheson Wallace American Playwriting Fellowship at The Juilliard School.
Details: Rough Draft Festival, LaGuardia Performing Arts Center, 31-10 Thomson Avenue, Long Island City, March 26th through April 2nd, free.
Bonus detail: Rough Draft Festival Kick-off event featuring site-specific performances, live DJ and interactive social media installations done in collaboration with HOLOCENTER (Center For Holographic Arts), Clocktower Building, Queens Plaza North, Long Island City, March 27th, 9 pm to midnight. For reservations, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top photo: Tyler Rivenbark; bottom photo: LPAC