The Palisade at the End of the L Train: How Canarsie Got Its Name

Golden City Amusement Park in 1922. The park was razed to make room for the Belt Parkway in 1939. Photo via brooklynpix.com

by
3

Brownstoner takes on Brooklyn history in Nabe Names, a series of briefs on the origins and surprising stories of neighborhood nomenclature.

Deep within the alphabetized grid that characterizes Brooklyn’s southern residential realms, Canarsie is still steeped in the awnings and accents of another era in the borough’s history.

The last stop on the L train, Canarsie is bounded by the Fresh Creek Basin, Paerdegat Basin and Jamaica Bay, bodies of water likely even less familiar to many than the area’s namesake: a term originating in the Algonquin language, in which it means “palisade” or sometimes “fenced land.”

Canarsie, which was initially a part of the original Brooklyn town Flatlands (now a far smaller, adjacent neighborhood), was once populated by the Canarsee Indians, who resided across Western Long Island for generations.

Today the neighborhood’s offerings are largely residential, but for any borough dweller who lives closer to the action, Canarsie’s streets can certainly provide a quieter solitude within city limits.

Canarsie brooklyn neighborhood

Canarsie Pier reflections

canarsie-brooklyn-neighborhood

The Canarsie Pier under construction in 1941. Photo via the Brooklyn Public Library

Related Stories
This Sears Mail-Order Home Cost $1,652, Was Shipped to Canarsie on a Buggy
Walkabout: An Incident on the Road From Bergen Island
Times Finds Value, Community in Canarsie

Email tips@brownstoner.com with further comments, questions or tips. Follow Brownstoner on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.

 

Brooklyn in Your Inbox

* indicates required
 

What's Happening