Brownstoner takes on Brooklyn history in Nabe Names, a series of briefs on the origins and surprising stories of neighborhood nomenclature.

Golden City Amusement Park in 1922. The park was razed to make room for the Belt Parkway in 1939. Photo via

Deep within the alphabetized grid that characterizes Brooklyn’s southern residential realms, Canarsie is still steeped in the awnings and accents of another era in the borough’s history.

Bergen Beach, with trolley service,

Read Part 1 of this story.

In 1896, two Brooklyn entrepreneurs, Thomas Adams, Jr. and Percy Williams bought the Jamaica Bay side of Bergen Island, off the coast of Flatlands and Canarsie. The island had belonged to the Bergen family for centuries, and was part of an isolated community of small farms in this rural part of Brooklyn which still supplied the markets of Wallabout and Manhattan with produce, dairy and meat.

On a bright early summer day in June of 1893, Dr. and Mrs. Samuel Santoire, of 148 Clinton Street in Brooklyn Heights, went for a buggy ride on a Sunday morning. Their horse was a handsome bay, pulling an open roofed touring buggy, expertly handled by the good doctor. Their destination was Bergen Island, in the Flatlands. The journey was a long one, all the way south through Flatbush and on down to Flatlands and Canarsie. But the day was beautiful and the company pleasant, so by the time the couple reached the water, their day still stretched before them.

Bergen Island had been settled by the Dutch way back in the early 1600s. It was a real island, just off the coast of Canarsie, and had been a favorite place for the Canarsee Indians to hunt, harvest marsh grasses and shellfish. When the Dutch took over, the island was called Mentelaer’s Island, and had a Dutch West India Company trading post on it. It then became the property of one Hans Hansen Bergen who proceeded to farm the marshy island. His descendants would become quite important in Brooklyn’s history in the centuries that followed.

The island was just off the mainland, in Flatlands, a part of Brooklyn that remained rural well into the 20th century. But as Brooklyn developed into a crowded urban metropolis, people began heading towards the ocean looking for cooling breezes and fresh air in the summer. By the last quarter of the 19th century, Coney Island had been “discovered,” and was turning into a vacation spot for the well-to-do, with large hotels and beach resorts being built long before the amusement parks.

Bergen Island had also been “discovered,” as well, and a few years after this story took place, would be developed as a day tripper’s paradise, but that’s a later story. The island was still a destination for those who wanted to get away from the city and enjoy nature in a part of Brooklyn that was still relatively untouched by man. It was swampy out there, in parts, but beautiful, and still looked much like it did when the Canarsee lived there, and for a couple that wanted to get away, it was perfect.


The New York Times took a look at Canarsie as a place to live and discovered a close-knit, diverse community with affordable homes. One- and two-family homes range from $350,000 to $600,000. The prices are still off their 2007 highs, when a two-family cost $450,000 to $725,000, thanks to the twin blows of the mortgage crisis and Hurricane Sandy.

“The mortgage crisis is only getting worse in Canarsie, and it’s been exacerbated by Sandy,” Angella Davidson, who manages the foreclosure prevention program of the nonprofit Neighborhood Housing Services of East Flatbush, told the Times. “People who already were struggling to pay their mortgage are now falling further behind, because they’re using money that should be earmarked for their mortgage to replace boilers and Sheetrock. And Sandy has forced people who were not in foreclosure to face potential foreclosure.”

Many residents faced two to three feet of flooding in their basements, and much of the damage isn’t covered by insurance. And to make matters worse, 10 percent of small homes (one- to four-unit properties) were in foreclosure in Canarsie as of June, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

But Canarsie brokers feel like the market is beginning to pick up there, based on the number of sales.  “Canarsie has not recovered much from the mortgage crisis,” Jean-Paul Ho, broker-owner of Brooklyn Real Property, said, “but you can feel it in the volume of transactions. Nothing was selling last year, but now the activity is there.”

Living in: In Canarsie, a Coalition of the Tried-and-True [NY Times]
Photo by Paul Lowry

Editor’s note: This story has been updated. See the new post here.

Brooklyn, one building at a time.

Name: Detached two-family houses
Address: 649-677 East 91st Street
Cross Streets: Avenue A and Avenue B
Neighborhood: Remsen Village (East Flatbush)/Canarsie
Year Built: 1932
Architectural Style: Dutch/Medieval cottage
Architect: Irving Kirshenblit
Other works by architect: Similar houses in Brooklyn, small 2 and 3 story storefronts in Manhattan, Brooklyn
Landmarked: No

The story: has a map of all of the named neighborhoods in Brooklyn. There are 101 them, and if pressed, there could be more. Bedford Stuyvesant, for example only has two listings, Bedford Stuyvesant and Stuyvesant Heights. There is certainly plenty of room in there for micro-neighborhoods. But anyway, I was clicking on some places I had not heard of before and came up with Remsen Village, a neighborhood generally considered a subset of East Flatbush, nestled between East Flatbush, Northeast Flatbush and Canarsie. Its borders are Kings Highway, Ralph Avenue, Ditmas Avenue and Rockaway Parkway.

This part of town begins right across the street from the Pieter Claesen Wyckoff house, the oldest existing building in New York State, started in 1652. This was then all part of Flatlands, one of the original Dutch settlements in Brooklyn. This was farmland for centuries, even when the northern parts of Brooklyn were growing into a city. Although there were houses here and there in the coming centuries, and the street grid was laid out, real development did not occur here until the 1920s, when the IRT Nostrand Avenue subway line (2 and 5 trains) was extended to Brooklyn College.

Beckers Aniline Dye Works, Canarsie,

Read Part 1 of this story.

The discovery of aniline dye in the 19th century brought bright, permanent color into the Victorian world. These dyes, whose chemical components were derived from coal tar, the by-product of extracting gas from superheated coal, were extremely valuable to the textile and leather industries.


The Wyckoff Farmhouse Museum puts on its annual Halloween Harvest Festival this Saturday, Oct. 20, from 1 to 5 pm. There will be crafts, food, games, a magic show, info about Colonial superstitions and haunted house tours! Built circa 1652, the farmhouse is Brooklyn’s oldest house. It stands at 5816 Clarendon Road, near Ralph Avenue. Above, a photo of it from the early 20th century.
Photo via Wyckoff House & Association Inc.