The Parfitt Brothers designed a new firehouse that harkened to the neighborhood's Dutch past.
It is easy to miss the delights of this stretch of late 19th century apartment buildings in Brooklyn Heights if you fail to look up -- way up.
From the 1870s to the 1970s, a complex of red brick buildings in Bushwick provided shelter for the poorest of Brooklyn’s elderly residents.
A once-neglected but important Queen Anne house in Crown Heights by the Parfitt Brothers is glittering once again after an exterior restoration.
A look at Brooklyn, then and now.
While this may look like the world’s fanciest traffic-court building, it started out with a calling more sacred than the adjudication of parking tickets. 1005 Bedford Avenue — at the corner of Lafayette Avenue in Bedford Stuyvesant — was the home of Temple Israel, one of Brooklyn’s oldest Jewish congregations.
Temple Israel, established in 1869, was a place of worship and community for Brooklyn’s German Jewish residents. It held its first services in the old YMCA, located downtown at Fulton Street and Gallatin Place.
In 1872 the congregation purchased its own building, a now-landmarked church on Greene Avenue, where the community grew. By the time it had to move again after a number of years, many members of this German Jewish community were doing quite well.
Membership included wealthy merchants such as Abraham Abraham — one of the founders of Abraham & Straus — and the congregation was able to afford to commission one of the city’s best architectural firms to design a new temple.