Imagine living on a prime block in a neighborhood many consider the most beautiful in Brooklyn. Then, imagine that you own the spacious property and have the FAR (floor area ratio) of 3.0 to build to 10,000 square feet. Finally, imagine that the property in question is both aesthetically pleasing and historically significant.
The Hans S. Christian Memorial, as 236 President is known, is named for a wealthy business owner and philanthropist who was President of the Board of Trustees of First Place Methodist Episcopal Church at Henry Street and 1st Place and taught Sunday school there for many years. After he died suddenly on his way home from church, his widow purchased the property and built a kindergarten on it as a memorial to him. The Hans S. Christian Memorial Kindergarten opened in 1897, Brooklyn Daily Eagle articles published at the time reveal. In later years, the building was used as a church, until it was sold to the parents of the present owners in 1974.
The gray-brick exterior mixes the Rococo and the neo-Classical, with an elaborate cornice, portico with columns, and window surrounds with keystones.
Inside, there is a soaring cathedral wood-beamed ceiling, stained glass windows, an artistic winding staircase, French doors and a fireplace.
It is extraordinarily wide at 27 feet and set up as a two-family, with a unit on each floor. It also has a garage attached to the house, an almost unheard of luxury in Carroll Gardens, where parking is scarce.
It is a block from popular Carroll Park and less than two blocks to the F and G trains at Carroll Street. Also close by are Farmacy, Mazzola Bakery, Esposito & Sons Pork Store, Kidville and the Gowanus Yacht Club.
Listed by Alex Calabretta of Douglas Elliman, it is asking $5.399 million. Click here to take a virtual tour of 236 President Street.