The New York Landmarks Conservancy has bestowed one of its highest honors to a Queens arts gallery. On April 30, the SculptureCenter will receive the Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award, which recognizes individuals or groups that have made extraordinary contributions to preserving buildings in New York City.
Formed as the Clay Club in Manhattan in 1928, the nonprofit changed its name to SculptureCenter and moved to a former trolley repair shop at 44-19 Purves Street in Long Island City in 2001. Last year, the brick venue, which dates to 1908, underwent a major revamp that included an addition and connecting courtyard that increased space by about 50 percent and created a reception area and bookshop, as well as addition gallery space, restrooms, and a lobby.
As the above photo demonstrates, the current venue mixes old and new architecture. Plus, the new Cor-Ten steel doors on the original gallery match the exterior of the addition, thus reinforcing the building’s industrial heritage.
Photo by Michael Moran