We’re not sure when this addition was completed in the rear of Theobald Engelhardt’s 1889 Romanesque Revival North Side Savings Bank at 33-35 Grand Street in Williamsburg, but we were surprised to see it on a recent visit.
An alt-1 permit to add a second and third floor to the one-story building was filed in 2007; the most recent application related to the Alt-1 permit was in June. Part of the structure is visible in a PropertyShark photo from 2012.
As Montrose pointed out in a recent Building of the Day column, there used to be an A.P.C. outlet here. Now it appears to be a home or a live-work space. The owners appear to be in construction.