Last we left off things were moving along at a steady pace. The electrical work was moving and my contractor had started the framing. And I started working with a garden designer, hopeful that I could even tackle the backyard before summer. And I also put my rental on the market — it rented in two weeks. You can read about the rental updates here. What do they say about nothing good lasts forever?
First problem was finding a plumber who was within my very limited 203K budget. The budget was $8,000 and included updated one existing bathroom, one new full bathroom, one half bath,washer/dryer connection, and plumbing for the kitchen. The plumber I wanted to use and does amazing work was just too expensive — his bid came in at more than double the plumbing budget. I asked around for a few recommendations and interviewed a few plumbers.
The plumber I chose came highly recommended but more importantly he was within budget. Well, everything started off right but then he disappeared for a few weeks. Daily calls, angry voicemails and promises to show up landed us three weeks behind schedule. Which means I’ll be camping out with friends after June 1 for a few weeks until at least one of the rooms and a bathroom is completed. I’m in the process of firing the plumber.
But I’m incredibly thankful for my amazing support system — including the Brownstoner community who tell me to keep pushing and that one day it will all be worth it.
Above, the kitchen in the rear of the parlor floor with its electrical, framing and Sheetrock. Click through to the jump for more photos of the progress or lack thereof.
Below, the guest room on the garden level is shaping up nicely:
Here’s what the back of the house looks like right now:
Here’s a shot of the backyard in its current state: