Signage Archaeology on Grand Avenue

by
3


A few weeks ago, the billboard that’s hung on the side of the bodega at Grand and Putnam avenues was taken down to reveal this old painted advertisement for M.H. Koski. As it turns out, the old-school pawn shop use to be headquartered in this very location, according to a Brooklyn Eagle ad from May 24, 1946 promoting “liberal loans on diamonds-jewelry and personal property.” If the shop had only stuck it out until the corner became a hotbed of the drug trade in the 70’s and 80’s it could have really cashed in. GMAP

What's Happening