The Brooklyn Navy Yard may be undergoing massive changes, with plans to double its employment, complete its in-the-works food hall, and launch a free two-loop shuttle service, yet the more things change the more they stay the same — at least in the case of the Yard’s Sands Street entrance.
Composed of two gatehouses resembling small castles, the Sands Street entrance opened in 1896. There is no architect listed for the brick structures, although evidence points to the rectangular buildings having been designed in-house, according to the New York Times.
Pictures of the medieval-style entry over the following century show largely the same design with few visible alterations until a wooden exterior was added over the two gatehouses about a half century ago. For many years, the gate served as the entrance for the tow pound which long occupied the area behind it.
A look at the pictures shows, however, that it is Navy Yard personnel who have changed the most over the years, far more than the Sands Street gate.
Brooklyn Navy Yard Aims to Boost New York’s Creativity Cred [Photos]
Mast Brothers Opening Big Factory With “Chocolate Brewery” in Brooklyn Navy Yard
Three Huge Construction Projects Happening in the Brooklyn Navy Yard