Forum Archives

Click here to join the conversation on the live forum.



    When I purchased my property there was an old plan in place, approved by dob for a renovation that never took place. We’ve requested the plan be withdrawn, and the dob wants to do an inspection of the property regarding the withdrawal. Is this standard? Nothing was ever built or changed.


      What figures are you guys using for new fixtures, relocated fixtures, sprinklers, etc…i thought a prefiler told me 3415 was the magic # for new fixtures couple years ago.



        Our neighbor has an obvious violation in regards to his roof drainage (short of it all- it’s draining into our building). This has been causing us a myriad of problems and damage (to all our building units), thus far covered by our individual homeowners policies. No damage has occurred to the exterior of our building, so our building’s insurance will not get involved.

        We’ve informed the owner of the issue repeatedly, basically he’s never going to fix it. He does not live in the building.

        A roofer that we trust has told us to just fix it at our expense (around 2k), as getting the city to force compliance with building code will take forever.

        While we know this may be true, it’s also true that the roofer wants to earn an income.

        Does anyone have any experience with getting DOB to force compliance with the law? How long does it typically take? Is there a better route than filing 311 complaints?

        Are we better off paying for the repair and going to small claims court?

        Or, should we just bite the bullet, pay for the repair and call it a day?

        Thanks in advance.


          I have the following scenario that may happen. My house has a zero-lot side with a neighboring house. So their property line starts exactly where my bricks end. However, there is a space of at least 4 feet between our two houses.

          I am about to undergo a house remodeling exnesion, in which the whole back side of my house will be knocked down and a new one rebuilt using brick veneer. In order to properly tie-in the existing remaining brick to the new one, my contractor and masonry specialist will need access to their backyard.

          I am doing eveything 100% legally as I have all the permits (already pulled from the DOB), and my contractor is fully licensed and insured.

          What happens that if in order to properly complete this work (so it will get signed off by the strctural engineer and city inspector), and the neighbor refuses access to his/hers property in order to do so, is there a NYC DOB rule(s) or clause which force them to allow access in order so that this approved by BSA and DOB job gets completed?

          I would agree to all stipulations that they ask for (escept money) like what hours to work, to fix and put back everything as it was, etc.

          If anyone has comments or advice, I would really appreciate it.

          I am in Park Slope, Brooklyn — don’t know if it matters.


            does anyone know how to do the hydraulic calculation that’s required by DEP’s HC04 form (aka SD 1&2)?


              What is the minimum height from floor to ceiling in the garden floor apartment?
              I’ve heard that is a minimum of 8′. What would happen if it was one inch shorter? We will need to pass the inspection of the DOB because we are getting a new C of O. We are putting radiant heat and we are losing that inch and or inch and a half. Any info will be appreciated. The photograph is just for illustration purposes. It’s not our apartment but it is a similar garden floor apartment.