After 69 years, Lane Bryant is shutting up shop in Downtown Brooklyn.
The store, located at 380 Fulton Street, announced it is closing December 17. A sign outside the store Friday confirmed their departure.
A tipster told Brownstoner regular customers and staff are trying to persuade company bosses to relocate the store somewhere else in the neighborhood.
It is one of two locations in Brooklyn, the other being at the Gateway Center shopping plaza in East New York, which remains open.
Lane Bryant has long had a presence in Brooklyn. Their first store in the borough, which opened in 1922, was on Hanover Place in Downtown Brooklyn. When they required more space, they moved nearby to the old Balch-Price Furrier’s building at the corner of Fulton and Smith Streets in 1950.
The store is owned by Ascena Retail Group Inc., also the parent company of Ann Taylor, Catherines and the recently shuttered Dressbarn. According to a report in Bloomberg in September, the company is considering selling off Catherines and Lane Bryant, which has about 720 stores, “amid mounting losses and signs that creditors are losing confidence in the company’s prospects.”
What will take Lane Bryant’s place on Fulton Street has not been revealed. The owner of the building is The Feil Organization, which also owns two other buildings on the block, next door at 376 Fulton Street and at the opposite corner of the block at 356 Fulton Street.
On The Feil Organization’s website, they are advertising the “potential redevelopment or short term lease” of the site.
[Photos by Susan De Vries]
- Building of the Day: 380 Fulton Street
- Walkabout: Lane Bryant and the Riches of Expectation
- 5 Gone-but-Not-Forgotten Brooklyn Shopping Emporiums