Photo from archive of the NYC-Architecture.com
Completed in 1890 by local architect Montrose W. Morris, the Romanesque Revival design of the Alhambra Apartments is a strong reminder of the former grandeur of Bedford Stuyvesant. Occupying a 70’x200′ lot on the corner of Macon and Halsey, the original layout included six apartments to a floor. According to historian Francis Morrone, the standard of living there was quite high: each apartment had eight or nine rooms and the common courtyard included a croquet lawn and tennis court. The roofline is particularly notable for its conical corner towers, gabled dormers and high chimneys. (Be sure to check out the many photographs of architectural details at NYC-Architecture.com.) After a fire in 1994, the property sat vacant until it was restored by Andersen Associates in 1998. We’d be curious to know whether it is currently a rental building or a condo.
Morrone’s Books [Francis Morrone]