Brownstoner is growing. We are looking to hire an experienced blogger and editor who shares our passions to help us cover Brooklyn inside and out.
A love for design, interiors, architecture and real estate is a must. This is an opportunity to dig into stories that interest you the most and explore what sparks your curiosity.
We are looking for that rare person who can write intelligently about design and is eager to break news and dive into long-form stories on a variety of topics that matter to our readers. A few examples of the latter: the Brooklyn real estate market, historic preservation, controversial development, landlord-tenant disputes, places that time forgot, design trends, house tours, and interesting people who are making Brooklyn a better place.
The position is full-time with benefits, including health insurance and 401K.
- Live in Brooklyn
- Minimum three years experience reporting, one year editing
- Versatile and creative writer and editor who can write or edit a fun brief based on a reader tip or photo, long-form reported story about a development or other battle, quick news reblog in Brownstoner’s voice, or service story
- Know AP style
- Can write about aesthetic aspects of design, real estate and architecture. (Advanced degree in arts or design criticism and writing a plus)
- Photoshop skills and flair for photography helpful
- Know what is happening in Brooklyn development, real estate and design
- Help plan, assign and edit hit stories. Edit staff and freelancer posts for accuracy, fairness, house style, SEO, voice, historic context and perspective. Position is half editing and half writing
- Get out and explore the borough, take photos, and occasionally attend and report on after-hours events (such as hearings on controversial developments)
- Write a minimum of three stories a week on design, development and people (such as trend stories, photo roundups, profiles, Q&As, service pieces, house tours)
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and three published samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Founded in 2004, Brownstoner covers a rapidly changing Brooklyn through the lens of real estate, development and renovation. Our website includes a blog, community forum and real estate listings. We are on Instagram and other social channels, put on events and conferences, and publish a semiannual print magazine focused on interiors, people, food and design.
Brownstoner is located in Dumbo and published by Brownstoner LLC, a subsidiary of Schneps Communications.