Dylan-PP-1.jpg
dylanfence_0808.jpg
At last night’s Bob Dylan concert in Prospect Park, the closing night of Celebrate Brooklyn and a benefit for it, too, the last longhaired baby boomers in the borough gathered to listen to the musical icon of their generation sing&#8212though plenty of GenX and GenY-ers showed up as well. Only problem: those who didn’t wish to swing the $55 for lawn seats or well above a cool hundred for actual chairs found they couldn’t partake of extra-bandshell listening, as so many are accustomed to doing. One reader wrote in to complain about the high fence erected around the venue to prevent glimpses; sound apparently did not travel well beyond it. “Unbelievable: Dylan comes to Brooklyn & everyone who wasn’t in his fan club, a VIP [there were plenty of seats reserved for music biz types], or willing to pay $200+ wound up barely able to hear and completely unable to see the concert, thanks to a tall black fence completely surrounding the bandshell area,” he writes. “Considering that I’ve never seen this sort of setup at Celebrate Brooklyn, I have to ask: Whose idea was this – Dylan’s or Celebrate Brooklyn? Anybody have an answer?” Well, do ya?
Dylan photo by Alan Fleishman

What's Your Take? Leave a Comment

1. Well, FWIW going to free shows 10 years ago was great. Not too crowded and the cops were not that bad. Now? It’s tedious and not worth the effort most of the time.

2. I must say I agree that at most outdoor activities(this being no exception) the NYC cops attitude towards the public are way over the top too aggressive and as a result make me feel a lot less secure and a lot more apprehensive. I have to wonder what they are really gearing up for.

3. I am a regular attendee of the many fab concerts Celebrate Brooklyn puts together and I always give a generous contribution as I enter. CB is one of the reasons I love Brooklyn and my summers here. I failed to get Dylan tix, but would have gladly paid had I been lucky enough to get them in time. The experience outside the barrier was really depressing, beyond the poor sound quality. The police were in overkill mode, as they have become over the years. I sadly had to witness a bunch of cops cooperating with one zealous Blue Meanie who decided to bust two pot smokers trying to enjoy the moment. Yeah, Dylan opens his show with Everybody Must Get Stoned. Those cops evidently weren’t listening. The two gentlemen busted are surely going to pay for the pleasure most of the rest of the audience was enjoying. The three giant fire trucks complete with tall ladders and cops on giant horses must have at some point felt pretty silly. If there was any reason for rebellion, it was their frightening presence. No parking on Prospect Park West! Those grey haired, romantic, music fans must somehow strike the security forces as dangerous and city tax payers should feel so safe to have all that overtime money spent watching people trying to enjoy music. The only thing missing was helicopters. I’ve seen helicopters circling over the bandshell with search lights glaring during a quiet dance concert. Sure made me feel safe. A cop that night told me I would feel glad they are there if I had gotten mugged that night. A helicopter at night must be a really efficient apprehending method with a person on the ground under dense trees. Give us all a break, and maybe a few cops dedicated to catching criminals on the ground, while leaving the rest of music lovers alone. Yes, I have an attitude, and the behavior of this city’s cops has made me fear them.

I do think the tall barricade is not friendly. I felt punished for not getting on line fast enough. I will still celebrate Brooklyn and hope that it can put aside the heavy security. It is counter-productive.

4. I will announce here and now I will pay to see those pictures, denton. I remember Nunn-bush shoes. I had the 3 inch platforms- for once in my life I was tall (er). and I remember having a pair of bell bottoms so wide I nearly killed myself just walking because they kept tangling up my legs I also stupidly went motorcycle riding in them. think Isadora Duncan meets mod squad.

My brother in law saved his shirts from Junior High- he could still wear them too but my sister finally became more …proactive.

Anyone Antonio Fargas’ pimp goldfish bowl shoes?

5. bxgirl, I had a pair of blue leather shoes with a rainbow on the toe which matched the one on the heel, damn, I kept hem for years but forgot the brand. Came from 8th Street. Was a size 12 but I’m up to 14… cost 80 bucks back then.

Still have a few Nik-Nik shirts, can’t fit into them any more but let my daughter wear them for a few times.

There’s a word for that ‘fro but probably can’t use it these days.

1 2 3 8