We have a horrible pigeon problem above our stoop. We have pigeon spikes but I think we need more and possibly a net to keep them out. Any recs for someone who can do this?

What's Your Take? Leave a Comment

1. Warning: pigeon poop is very toxic, esp. the dried particulate matter (you can get a fungal infection of the lung that is bad-assed). If you have any contact with clean-up, you or your workers should wear respirator-type masks and use all the same precautions you would for lead abatement.

2. StuyIvy – concerning the BirdWire – I don’t know the cost – it was part of a bigger job and that was 10 years ago, but the BirdWire is holding strong and still doing its job. We did not use it on the window sills, but along the various ledges of the fascade. The pigeons don’t seem to know the window sills are an option.

For anyone who does go with the BirdWire, one tip is to paint the metal posts the same color as the stone, then they are practically invisible (otherwise, they are a silver metal, but still much less visible than spikes).

3. In 2003 when we were having horrible pigeon problems, all I did was go to the local home depot, bought some wire mesh, cut it and then rolled it up and conformed it to the shape of the space above my stoop, and stuck it in there.

My neighbors did the same thing. No more pigeon problems.

Ok, not super attractive, but then again, no unattractive pigeon poop all over our stoop either!

4. Peanuts soaked in really cheap bourbon spread work fairly well on a seasonal basis.

5. There is an alternative to the spikes called BirdWire. It involves putting little posts into ledges of your fascade and stringing nylon wire with little springs at the end. The birds cannot gain a foothold and don’t sit there. I have it on my place and it works very well. The system is also a lot less visible than the spikes.

6. Fake snakes useless also? Missed my chance to become the helpless female (drat!).
    Whom do I contact to put spikes on the ledges?
    K

7. Sadly, I am looking out my second floor window at a house across the street where the pigeons are cuddled right up next to their plastic owl. A recent article in the NYTimes about problems with nests the parrots are building on electrical boxes told of Con Ed putting battery operated owls (that move) on wire lines. They reported that worked for a very short period of time – the birds figured out pretty quickly that even the animatronic owls were not real. Same with fake snakes. Brooklyn Birds are pretty smart. I’ve only seen success with the metal spikes.