Perhaps nothing is as emblematic of both the old and new Brooklyn as the newly restored Kings Theatre in Flatbush. After a $93 million restoration, it opened in February for the first time in 40 years and has gone on to win a preservation award and kindle renewed interest in the area.
And now it will be acquired by Ambassador, a vertically integrated theater chain, which produces shows, sells tickets and runs theaters. The iconic theater was not an acquisition target on its own but is part of another theater group, ACE Theatrical Group, that Ambassador is acquiring, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. (more…)
Sears is one of the nation’s most recognizable store names. This landmarked building has been a shopping destination for Brooklynites for over 80 years.
Name: Sears, Roebuck & Company Department Store Address:2307 Beverley Road Cross Streets: Corner of Bedford Avenue Neighborhood: Flatbush Year Built: 1932, addition added in 1940 Architectural Style: Late Art Deco Architect: Nimmons, Carr & Wright, with Alton Craft Other Buildings by Architect: NC & W — in Chicago, various Sears stores and private homes for Sears execs Landmarked: Yes, individual landmark (2012)
Sears & Roebuck, Mail-Order Giant to the Nation
It’s hard to believe, but this store, which has always been a Sears, has been here for over 80 years. Just like its neighbor, the recently revived Kings Theatre located directly behind it, this Sears has been a Flatbush institution.
Sears started out in the 1890s as a mail-order catalog that sold a huge variety of goods to customers in rural areas who had little to no access to stores and shops. Its first retail store was built in 1925. Based in Chicago, Sears & Roebuck expanded all across the country.
Because of its dealings with Manhattan’s garment center, Sears was a presence in NYC long before its bricks and mortar stores were in place. When the company sought to expand its retail presence in the New York City area, Flatbush was seen as an ideal location. (more…)
Not your run-of-the-mill brownstone, today’s pick – at 621 East 26th Street near Brooklyn College — has some interesting features.
For starters, there’s an elevator, not something commonly found in a two-story-plus-cellar home. It’s Tudor style, which you don’t see every day in these parts.
And there’s parking for three cars, including a spot that sits within the house, so you can come and go without setting foot on the street, like Bruce Wayne leaving Wayne Manor in the Batmobile. If you’re stalked by paparazzi, this could be useful. (more…)
In the years after the Civil War, until the dawn of the 20th century, Brooklyn, as we know, experienced rapid growth. By the 1880s and ‘90s, real estate had become a huge business, and some large developers came on the scene.
Individual developers gave rise to row house neighborhoods like Sunset Park, Stuyvesant Heights, Prospect Heights and Lefferts Manor. Then they moved to the “suburbs” of South Brooklyn and created the communities of Borough Park, while others created Prospect Park West, Ditmas Park and Beverly Square, East and West.
Soon, these individual developers were joined by development companies. These corporations had a board of directors, issued stock and had shareholders. They were run by real estate men in conjunction with bankers and businessmen.
One of these companies was called Realty Associates. (more…)
Most likely setting a record for the neighborhood, this detached frame house at 154 Lenox Road recently sold for $3,550,000. The sale hit public records earlier this month. The two-and-half-story house is large for Brooklyn at a hair over 3,000 square feet. And it has a garage in the back.
But we’re willing to bet it’s not the spacious wraparound front porch or whatever period details remain inside that helped this seller get such a high price. (more…)
The Flatbush development wave hits again. As reported last month by NY YIMBY, Boaz Gilad of Brookland Capital is building a seven-story, 66-unit apartment building at 88-92 Linden Boulevard.
No demolition permits or applications for new buildings have yet been filed for the site, though Gilad told NY YIMBY that he’d do it this month. Gilad paid $2,070,000 for No. 88, the turreted one on the right, in May. His purchase of No. 92, on the left, has yet to hit public records.
A tipster in the neighborhood sent Brownstoner pictures showing that a green construction fence recently went up around the two turn-of-the-last-century houses currently on the site, between Rogers and Bedford Avenue. The houses both feature some interesting architectural details that we’ll be sad to see go.
Interior shots of the homes and more information on Brookland Capital after the jump. (more…)
Brooklyn’s wave of development just made a big splash in Flatbush, where a no-name developer is demolishing three houses — including a unique faux French chateau — to make way for a 69-unit apartment building.
The new building, whose address will be 200 Linden Boulevard, will have 69 apartments and a day care facility. It will be eight stories tall and cover four wide lots. The architect is the emerging Charles Mallea — more about him in a moment.
A Brownstoner reader caught the biggest of the three houses in mid-demo Thursday and sent us these photos. He said of the faux French chateau, a Brownstoner Building of the Day in 2011:
Was going down Linden Boulevard today and noticed a standout building being torn down. 210-212 Linden Boulevard was a really magnificent mansion at some point. It has unfortunately gone under the knife many times since the early days, and was being used as a doctor’s offices most recently. Well, sadly, the building (along with the two next to it) is being wiped off the face of the earth.
This shingled turn-of-the-last century standalone house at 685 East 18th Street in Flatbush’s Midwood Park has a wraparound porch, garage, and plenty of room. Close to Brooklyn College, it was designed by architect Benjamin Driesler and built in 1907, according to the listing.
Inside, we see a fireplace, stained glass, built-ins, a coffered ceiling in the dining room, and an updated kitchen and baths. There are five bedrooms and 2.5 baths. (more…)
The Flatbush Avenue Street Fair will take over nearly a mile of the thoroughfare from Parkside Avenue to Cortelyou Road, in the heart of Flatbush. The event, put on by the Flatbush Avenue Business Improvement District, will feature carnival rides, games, live music, dancers, balloon art, face painting and plenty of food vendors. (more…)
We continue our weeklong look at Brooklyn’s greatest treasure, Prospect Park.
A look at Brooklyn, then and now.
The first polo game in Prospect Park was played on June 11, 1879. It was between the Westchester Polo Club and a club from Queens.
Up until that day, “polo” had a totally different meaning to Brooklyn’s sports lovers. It meant ice polo, a game we now call hockey. It had been played in Brooklyn for several years, inaugurated by the Crescent Athletic Club and other well-to-do sports clubs.
They played in the Clermont Rink in Fort Greene, against clubs from nearby colleges like Yale and Columbia as well as other sports clubs.
As Brooklyn was getting richer, so too were her sports. Polo, the game with horses, had been played in Persia for centuries. A version of it traveled to the east, and was in play for hundreds of years in India before it was encountered by bored aristocratic British officers stationed there in the middle of the 19th century.
Two British soldiers started a polo club to introduce the sport — basically hockey on horses — to their countrymen, and the game took off and has been popular ever since. (more…)
We continue this week’s look at Brooklyn’s natural treasure: Prospect Park. Summer is coming!
Brooklyn, one building at a time.
Name: Prospect Park Peristyle, aka Grecian Shelter, aka Croquet Shelter Address:96 Parkside Avenue Cross Streets: Park Circle and Ocean Avenue Neighborhood: Flatbush Year Built: 1905 Architectural Style: Renaissance Revival Architect: McKim, Mead & White Other Works by Architect: In Brooklyn: Brooklyn Museum, Grand Army Plaza park entrance, and other entrances and structures within Prospect Park (Stanford White) Landmarked: Yes, individual landmark (1968)
The story: Who doesn’t love this Classical Greek inspired structure? For many people, Prospect Park begins and ends on the Park Slope side, but other parts of the park have some of the best goodies, some hidden, and some, like this shelter, in plain view.
And to learn that it was designed by one of the finest architectural firms in the history of American architecture is just icing on the cake. As summer rapidly is upon us, let’s take a look at this wonderful folly on the Flatbush side of the park. (more…)