The neo-Classical former bathhouse at 139 Huron Street in Greenpoint could soon become a four-story, nine-unit residence, according to building permits.
Most recently home to antique furniture restorers Studio Wood Artesan Corp., the Huron Street Public Bath was built in 1903 and designed by Brooklyn architect Louis H. Voss, who was also behind the Pitkin Avenue and Montrose Avenue bathhouses.
It was the longest-running public bath in New York City before it closed in 1959. In 1964, one Arthur Jochnowitz purchased it at a city auction for $17,500 and turned it into a warehouse. It is not landmarked.
The former bathhouse, a Brownstoner Building of the Day in 2015, was purchased in 2016 by developers Samuel and Christian Pompa under the name of All Blue Huron LLC for $4.85 million. As Caro Enterprises, the two have developed and manage a number of buildings in Brooklyn, including factory-turned-rental building Wythe Confectionery at 390 Wythe Avenue in Williamsburg.
Perkins Eastman, a huge global firm noted for institutional and commercial buildings such as schools and hotels, is the architect of record on the permit application.
A rendering on the construction fence show that the words “Erected” and “AD 1903” will remain on the facade, but the word “Public Bath” will be moved to a spot near the top. The distinctive columns will remain, and the two entrances — originally, one for men and the other for women — will be altered.
It’s not clear how the developers will be able to add to the 10,000-square-foot, two-story building, which is currently maxed out on its FAR, according to public records. But in any case, with an average of more than 1,000 square feet per apartment, condos rather than rentals could be in the works.