The decade following the 1899 decision to build the Queensboro bridge was filled with real estate speculation in northern Queens. No other group was as aggressive as the Queensboro Corporation which, according to Daniel Karatzas’ book Jackson Heights: A Garden in the City, spent almost $4 million acquiring 250 acres of land in the area. The Corporation went on to build many of the prewar apartment complexes in the area. They also found time to build this neo-Tudor building at the corner of 37th Avenue and 82nd Street (37-02 37th Avenue, to be exact), shown above in a postcard from the time and below in current photos. The building currently has law offices on the upper floors and retail on the ground floor. There is another interesting building with a pitched wooden roof down the street on 37th Avenue between 78th and 79th streets that also has the Queensboro Corporation emblazoned over the door; it’s currently got a Starbucks on the ground floor. There’s a photo of that one at the very bottom of the post.
Vintage postcard from Cardcow.com GMAP