What is the purpose of the long metal rod extending out from my fire escape?

Home Forums History What is the purpose of the long metal rod extending out from my fire escape?

Topic: What is the purpose of the long metal rod extending out from my fire escape?

History February 8, 2013 at 7:11 pm

What is the purpose of the long metal rod extending out from my fire escape?

The fire escape off the brownstone in Gowanus that I just moved into has a long metal pole extending out from the fire escape on the 2nd floor and another on the 3rd floor. They’re about 5 feet long, anchored to the railing in two spots, and have hooks on the end. I can’t figure out what they’re for, and Googling didn’t help. Does anyone on here know? Thanks! 

3 Replies Add Reply

I believe they hold the ladder in place

Tim

yup, they have the hooks that hold the moveable ladder in place.  The moveable ladder usually connects the fire escape to the ground – i.e. it is the bottom section

Thanks, @ben-gazi and @timber for the replies. I think we may not be talking about the same thing, though. I do see the hook that holds the movable ladder in place. These hooks, in contrast, are small, and are at the end of metal rods that extent 5 or so feet out from the edge of the fire escape, parallel to the ground, away from the building. Attaching a couple of photos. Are those indeed ladder-related? Or something else maybe? 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or