Permit required to remove kitchen? Go from 3 unit to Single Family

Home Forums Building Code Permit required to remove kitchen? Go from 3 unit to Single Family

Topic: Permit required to remove kitchen? Go from 3 unit to Single Family

Building Code January 24, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Permit required to remove kitchen? Go from 3 unit to Single Family

I know plenty of people use 3 or 2 unit properties as 1 family. More often or not the layout does not change and the homeowner simply removes the stove. I don’t believe a permit is required for something along this line. Is there somewhere I can pull up the city code that shows that is allowed?

6 Replies Add Reply

Legally, yes you would need to change the C of O.

Jock- I’m under the impression that you do not need to change the C of O if you are under utilizing the property. People tend to do this so future buyers can turn it back in to a 2 or 3. Also for properties that predate the C of O many do not want to get a C of O. 
I don’t believe you will be fined for occupying a 3 unit property all by youself and I know from speaking with contractors that you don’t need a permit to remove a stove, especially an electric stove. 

Nor do you need a permit to remove a gas stove, a sink, or a counter, cabinets and refrigerator. You need a permit only if are going to remove or alter the plumbing/electric etc.  Just cap everything, seal it up and leave it. At some point it will all be put back.

What eme said.  Just remove it, close up the plumbing and close up the wall.  If you are moving the electric outlet that services the stove fom up high to the typically lower position yes, you technically need a permit but I wouldn’t bother with that at all.

Adam are you asking this for loan purposes?  In my experience the issue with lenders is not the legality of the removal of the kitchens, it’s the lender’s salabilty on the secondary market that is their concern . As well as the fact that they don’t want to have to alter a home in the event of foreclosure . They just want to be able to sell the property with out issues and recoup what they can . 

If you’re combining 2 apartments on same floor, then you don’t need change c/o.
Technical Policy and Procedure Notice #3/97

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/codes_and_reference_materials/tppn0397.shtml

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or