Experience Re-Tapping a Steam Radiator Air Vent Hole?

Home Forums Plumbers and Plumbing Experience Re-Tapping a Steam Radiator Air Vent Hole?

Topic: Experience Re-Tapping a Steam Radiator Air Vent Hole?

Plumbers and Plumbing January 7, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Experience Re-Tapping a Steam Radiator Air Vent Hole?

I have hot water steam radiators with 1/8″ air vent valves.  Upon going to replace one of the air vents I discovered that the threads on the the famlae portion of the radiator itself are stripped and it subsequently stripped my new vent upon trying to install.  I would assume the threads need to re-tapped and am looking for any guidance on the process.  I think that drilling out with a 7/16″ bit and then re-tapping with a 1/4″ x 18 NPT tap woiuld create appropriate new threads.  I think I could then insert a 1/4″ to 1/8″ reducer bushing to fit the 1/8″ air vent.  Does this sound appropriate?  Appreciate any guidance!

4 Replies Add Reply

I believe they make 1/4″ valves so you can probably even dispense with the bushing if the air valve was stripped and needs to be replaced anyway. Your plan seems fine to me….

plans sounds fine.  you could also try to run a 1/8″ tap into the hole again to see if it will correct the threads before you drill a larger hole.  

I’m with pig-three’s suggestion, though the first answer is correct too.

Thank you all!  Probably not a bad idea to begin to gather a few taps of various size…I am sure they will come in handy at some point!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or