I’ve been considering moving to a condo on Pacific between Nostrand and Bedford and I love everything about it… except the homeless shelter down the block at Atlantic and Bedfordn Aves. Does anyone have any info on crime in the area surrounding this shelter? I read in a blog that there is talk that it could be converted into a community center of sorts, anyone know if this is in the works?
Thanks in advance

What's Your Take? Leave a Comment

1. I’m kinda late in replying but, I lived for a year on the armory block. I never had any problems short of the smell of piss, noisy neighbors and even louder cars (spillover from those who don’t want to take Atlantic). Oh, and two man patrols along my street were a regular sight.

Then, a week after I moved out, my building was burglarized and supposedly, one tenant had a knife held to her throat. She subsequently moved out and the landlord increased security measures (i.e. better locks on the doors, closing rooftop access).

As a woman, I was always hyperconscious of the two male shelters on my street but honestly, these dudes were mostly too down and out to bother anyone. (I’d get hollered at/harassed by regular dudes who had homes.)

My recommendation: live in the area if you have street sense about you and if you don’t scare easily. Good luck.

2. Only suggestion is that you should only purchase where you will be comfortable. It doesn’t make any sense to spend all that money buying an apt in a neighborhood you don’t feel safe in regardless if your concerns for safety are actually founded.

1 2 3 6

More Stories Like This