Some news popped up on the upcoming Landmarks Preservation Commission agenda about the Carlton Mews Church located at 232 Adelphi Street. The owners are going to the LPC with this proposal: ” construct additions, alter the facades, roofs, and yards, replace windows, and install a ramp.” The Gothic Revival church sat deteriorating for years before its new owners took care of structural repairs last year. After repairs started up in November of 2011, no news came up about the future use of the church. The owners have not applied for any permits to convert the church to residential use. The connected development site, the Carlton Mews Townhouse Project, has continued with construction after an accident last fall. Construction workers were conducting interior work at the church when we stopped by this morning. The townhouse project and the church each have different owners. Roof Support for Carlton Mews Church [Brownstoner] Carlton Mews Church to be Saved From Danger of Collapse [Brownstoner] GMAP
The widow of the 67-year-old construction worker who was killed in the Carlton Mews collapse has been located and is living in the New York City area, according to the Daily News. Professional Grade Construction, the company that employed Winston Gellett, said it would pay for the funeral costs, but then reneged on the plan after it discovered widow Deanna Simms had hired a lawyer, Simms said. She was forced to take out a loan for $11,500 to cover the costs of a grave, a casket, minister, musician, hearse and various other items, she added. Gellett emigrated to the U.S. from Jamaica in the 1980s, according to Simms. He worked in construction, and also at Kennedy Airport as a porter. His children live in Jamaica and will be unable to attend the funeral, she said, which takes place at 4 p.m. today at the Interboro Funeral Home, 544 Evergreen Ave., in Bushwick. The burial is set for Saturday at Rosehill Cemetery in Linden, N.J. In 2006, Gellett’s son Winston Jr. was shot during a robbery in Queens and left paralyzed. Widow Says Construction Company Broke Promise [NY Daily News] BREAKING: Major Building Collapse on Carlton Avenue [Brownstoner]
A reader wrote in Saturday morning after spotting construction workers at the Carlton Mews townhouses, a development project slapped with a stop work order by the Department of Buildings after a construction accident killed one of the workers last week. He said:
Despite the stop work orders for all five buildings, the crew is out working with large ground moving equipment today (they also do not have work variance permits). I called 911 and the police responded… Immediately when I arrived with the police, the guy in the picture started questioning me, asking “What’s wrong? Who are you?” I told him that I was a neighbor and that there were stop work orders that he was violating. He basically responded “No, it’s fine.” I told him “Are you kidding me? One of your crew members died this week. This is ridiculous.” Incredibly, he responded by waving me off, indifferently.
The worker on site also argued with the police, and our tipster had to leave so does not know how it was resolved. It is unknown at this point whether the work being done was legal and related to securing the site post-collapse or whether it was unsanctioned. There was some repair work on the collapsed building last week. BREAKING: Major Building Collapse on Carlton Avenue [Brownstoner]
The construction superintendent at Carlton Mews, where a construction worker died in a collapse Monday, was handling job safety at 14 construction sites at the same time — four more than the city allows without special permission, according to a New York Daily News story. Yesterday, the DOB issued 10 violations at the site of the collapse, 231 Carlton Avenue. The contractor, Professional Grade Construction, has 24 jobs going on in Brooklyn, Staten Island and Manhattan. Owner Michael Rubinstein is listed as construction superintendent at 14 of those buildings. The city has issued stop work orders at four of the company’s sites in the last year, according to the Daily News. Meanwhile, Council Member Letitia James has asked for help finding relatives to claim the body of Winston Gillette, the 67-year-old construction worker who died in the collapse. Contractor in Fatal Collapse Over Limit Watching Safety at 14 Sites [NY Daily News] Aftermath at Carlton Mews Collapse Site [Brownstoner] Major Building Collapse on Carlton Avenue [Brownstoner]
This was the scene this morning at the Carlton Mews Townhouse project, a day after one of the townhouses collapsed, killing one construction worker. Today workers were carefully removing the collapsed debris from the townhouse frame. Otherwise, as the NY Post wrote this morning, DOB officials issued a full stop-work order at the site while they investigate. The collapse happened after the third story of the building was overloaded with cinder blocks. Two workers, William Gillett, 67, and Clayton LaBoard, 43, fell to the basement and were covered by debris. Gillett passed away and, as of yesterday, LaBoard was in critical condition.
There’s been a major building collapse at the construction project 231 Carlton Avenue, aka the Carlton Mews Townhouses. Based on what we gathered on site, excessive weight caused the roof to collapse which in turn knocked out the lower floors as well. The side walls and facade were still standing. We were also told that two construction workers came out of the collapse and NY1 currently is reporting that the two workers pulled out are in critical condition. Carlton and Dekalb Avenue are shut down and filled with rescue workers. Another tipster said this of the buildings: “Note also how warped the roof frame (of aluminum) is to the left of the one that gave; they probably overloaded the one on the right.” UPDATE: One worker now reported dead. Also, more photos on Gothamist.