higgins hall 61 st james place pratt bryan chang

Pratt is kicking off the launch of its new MFA writing program with performances and readings from local artists tomorrow. Performers include Jacques Servin, cofounder of the Yes Men; LaTasha N. Nevada Diggs, interdisciplinary poet and sound artist; Celina Su, author and Associate Professor of Political Science at CUNY; Mendi Obadike, poet and a member of Pratt’s writing faculty; and Keith Obadike, composer and sound designer teaching at William Patterson University. The event will take place tomorrow from 6 to 7:30 pm at the auditorium in Pratt’s Higgins Hall at 61 St James Place (pictured).

Photo by Bryan Chang

937 Fulton Street,SB, PS

Brooklyn, one building at a time.

Name: Originally Rubel Coal and Ice Corporation, now drug rehab clinic.
Address: 937 Fulton Street
Cross Streets: Corner Waverley Avenue
Neighborhood: Clinton Hill
Year Built: 1928
Architectural Style: Neo-classical
Architect: Edward M. Adelsohn
Other Buildings by Architect: Jewish Orphan Asylum, New Hebrew School–Brownsville (both gone), Temple Petach Tikvah in Crown Heights, Brooklyn Hygeia Ice Plant, Brooklyn Hebrew Maternity Hospital, row houses, commercial buildings, stores in Brownsville, Crown Heights and other areas of Brooklyn and Queens.
Landmarked: No

The story: In 1907, Samuel Rubel could be found hauling his pushcart through the streets of Brownsville selling ice. He later began carrying coal, in season, as well. He was a fixture in this new Jewish immigrant community, and he managed to make a living for his family, one cartful of these lifesaving elements at a time. Twenty-some years later, he was the owner of Brooklyn’s largest coal and ice business. His company had assets of over $40 million, with 134 coal and ice branches across every borough except Staten Island. He had a staff of over 400 people, and the coal and ice was delivered in 800 Rubel trucks. In 1927, he decided it was time to build a new headquarters in a more central part of Brooklyn. (more…)

315 Washington Ave, SW, PS

Brooklyn, one building at a time.

Name: Free-standing brick house
Address: 315 Washington Avenue
Cross Streets: DeKalb and Lafayette Avenues
Neighborhood: Clinton Hill
Year Built: late 1860s, new mansard roof added 1894
Architectural Style: now
Architect: Building architect unknown, Roof extension by Parfitt Brothers
Other Buildings by Architect: Parfitt Brothers – in Clinton Hill – 331-335 Wash, just down the block, Cornelius Hoagland House, Clinton Ave and several other row houses and flats buildings. Also row houses, apartment buildings, flats buildings, mansions, office buildings and churches in Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights.
Landmarked: Yes, part of Clinton Hill Historic District (1981)

The story: I would have loved to have seen Clinton Hill just after the Civil War. The neighborhood was already popular with wealthy Brooklynites who enjoyed living on “the Hill,” where the air was clean and two main streets, Clinton and Washington Avenues, were lined with spacious homes on large lots. Many of those homes at that time were large wood framed suburban villas. Today, in the entire neighborhood, there are only a couple left. These wealthy folk were also beginning to build more substantial homes of brick and brownstone, and both Washington and Clinton are dotted with large boxy masonry houses dating from the late 1860s. They add a wonderful gravitas and simple elegance to the neighborhood, and are typical of Victorian style. This house is one of them. (more…)

sisters bar 500 fulton street clinton hill 82014

Flatbush Farm owner Damon Gorton is turning the old Sister’s Hardware spot at 900 Fulton Street in Clinton Hill into a bar and restaurant called “Sister’s.” We’re not sure when it’s going to open, but we like the new look. The design duo hOmE, who also crafted the look of beer bar Torst in Greenpoint, is designing the interior and exterior of the bar. We’ve reached out for more info on Sister’s, and we’ll update this post if we hear anything. GMAP

Flatbush Farm Owner Opening Restaurant in Sister’s Hardware Spot [Brownstoner]


We happened to notice this storefront for rent on the ground floor of a brownstone at 156 Gates Avenue at Downing in Clinton Hill. Previously home to a daycare, the space is bigger than most at 1,000 square feet. The rental listing suggests it could be used as a store, exercise space, art gallery, or classroom. (The rent is $3,500 a month.) What would you like to see in this spot? GMAP


Brownstoner columnist Suzanne Spellen and longtime commenter Morgan Munsey will explore Clinton Hill’s architectural history and discuss its many noteworthy buildings in two walking tours taking place later this month and in September. They will point out 19th century mansions, gracious row houses, stately churches and apartment buildings designed by some of Brooklyn’s most well-known architects.

The two-hour Society of Clinton Hill tours will take place at 11 am on August 23 and September 28. Afterward, tour participants can attend a reception at a home in Clinton Hill. Tickets cost $20 per person and can be purchased through Eventbrite.

Photo by Society for Clinton Hill

391 grand avenue clinton hill 82014

If you’re not afraid of an SRO, this Clinton Hill Italianate has some beautiful details and is priced for a quick sale, according to the listing. We see a grand marble fireplace and attractive wood ceiling (a later addition) on the parlor level. There are also original shutters, sliding pocket doors, and moldings.

It’s currently set up as two floor-through apartments over an owner’s duplex. The duplex has an internal staircase and a lofted area on the parlor level, if we read the floor plan correctly.

Do you think the ask of $2,100,000 is worth any potential hassle?

 391 Grand Avenue [Halstead] GMAP


Do you remember 102 Gates Avenue, an estate sale condition Italianate in Clinton Hill that attracted 350 people to the open house in early 2013? Well, now it’s been beautifully restored and is going on the market in a few weeks, according to a story in the BK to the Fullest. Click through to the jump to see the “after” photos of the restored house.

When it was a House of the Day, we said, “Here’s the kind of listing we love to see: The house needs restoration, but just about every original detail appears to be present.” (more…)


It looks like the apartment building going up at 516 Classon Avenue in Clinton Hill is going to miss its summer construction deadline by a wide margin, but nonetheless quite a bit has been accomplished since we last stopped by. In October, it was still just a hole in the ground, and now five out of a total of seven planned stories have risen. (more…)

396-398 Washington Ave, SB, PS 2

Brooklyn, one building at a time.

Name: Row houses
Address: 396-398 Washington Avenue
Cross Streets: Lafayette and Greene avenues
Neighborhood: Clinton Hill
Year Built: 1887
Architectural Style: Queen Anne
Architect: Adam E. Fischer
Other Buildings by Architect: Row and standalone houses in Brooklyn, German Hospital in Bushwick, apartment hotels, summer homes in Manhattan and Long Island
Landmarked: Yes, part of Clinton Hill HD (1981)

The story: Adam E. Fischer was a successful architect with offices on Fulton Street, in Brooklyn. He lived in Bushwick. By the late 1880’s he was a member of the Architects Department of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, and was in the company of contemporaries such as George L. Morse, Frank Freeman, Rudolf Daus, Theobald Engelhardt and more. In 1894 he managed to beat out his fellow German-American architects Engelhardt and Daus for the design of the German Hospital in on Stockholm Street in Bushwick.

He was one of the founding members of the New York Society of Architects, a Brooklyn architectural organization, and was the First Vice President of the NYSA between 1918 and 1921. In 1931, Fischer was front page news for the Brooklyn Eagle, as he, Charles Infanger and William Debus, all familiar names to this column, were given medals to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Society. Fischer was also celebrating the 50th year of his practice. Not bad for a man about whom we know little more. (more…)