50-bridge-street-121614

The condo building at 50 Bridge Street, built in 1894 to house a soap manufacturing company, is wrapping up a $3,500,000, two-and-a-half-year exterior restoration project. The update to the 58-unit luxury building, which went condo in 2004, involved waterproofing and stripping paint off the original brick facade.

“We are thrilled by these significant renovations that have resulted in the restoration of much of our building’s original character,” said the condo’s board in a press release. “The building is a beautiful example of 19th century industrial architecture and we have worked closely with Landmarks throughout this project.” Cowley Engineering and Flag Waterproofing and Restoration did the work.

We presume this fixes all the construction problems that were the subject of a 2007 lawsuit against developer Joshua Guttman. The condo owners received an undisclosed settlement in 2012 from Guttman over construction defects such as a “defective roof and other waterproofing issues,” a press release noted at the time. Click through to see a photo of the building in 2012, before the restoration.

50 Bridge Street Coverage [Brownstoner] GMAP
Photo above by 50 Bridge Street; photo below by Sunita Mungol for PropertyShark (more…)

b2-111814

Forest City Ratner and Skanska are discussing a buyout deal and have already set a price, although other terms are still under negotiation, according to a letter Skanska sent to the judge overseeing the former partners’ lawsuits over the stalled modular B2 tower. In fact, a closing date was set for Monday, Atlantic Yards Report reported. There has been no announcement from either party, so perhaps the closing has not yet taken place.

Forest City would buy out Skanska, freeing up Forest City to restart construction on the stalled tower. A buyout deal could include compensation for cost overruns the two have been fighting about in court and put the lawsuits to rest.

Forest City Seems Ready to Buy out Skanska’s Interest in Closed Modular Factory; Deal Could Close Tomorrow [AYR]
Skanska Coverage [Brownstoner]
Photo by Field Condition

Update: We have just received a statement from Skanska. It says: “Today FCRC Modular LLC and Skanska Modular LLC announced that FCRC Modular LLC will purchase the ownership interest of Skanska Modular LLC in their jointly owned modular factory business in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, FC+Skanska Modular LLC, for an undisclosed amount. The agreement, achieved through mediation with Roger J. Peters, Esq., marks the end of the companies’ partnership at the modular factory and makes FCRC Modular the sole owner and manager of the modular business. Litigation between the companies over the B2 Project will continue and is not impacted by this agreement.”

15 2nd avenue gowanus 82014

Community group Gowanus United today filed a lawsuit to halt the construction of a three-story, 61,000-square-foot parole reporting facility at 15 2nd Avenue, between 5th Street and the Gowanus Canal, just behind Whole Foods. The suit claims the state’s Department of Corrections didn’t perform an environmental review to examine how the building and its day-to-day operations would affect the community. A press release sent out by the group did not say in which court the suit was filed.

As previously reported, the state department lost its previous headquarters downtown several years ago to development and has been housed in three different downtown locations since then. The offices serve about 5,000 parolees, or 400 a day. The state signed a contract over a year ago and construction is well under way (we took the above photo in August). Construction is supposed to finish in January, and the building is supposed to open in April.

The lawsuit also seeks to overturn a zoning waiver granted by the Bloomberg administration late last year, which allows the state to build fewer parking spaces than the site’s zoning requires. The group’s press release argues that the site isn’t served well by public transportation, and a lack of off-street parking would only make nearby traffic and parking worse.

BBP Adams: Parole Office Should Be Downtown, Not in Gowanus [Brownstoner]
Steel Rises Next to Gowanus Junkyard [Brownstoner]

cb9-empire-rezoning-092514

By all accounts, Tuesday’s Community Board 9 meeting was a doozy. From what we can piece together from some half dozen accounts in the media and what others have told us, since we weren’t present, in short, a huge number of opponents of upzoning Empire Boulevard disrupted the meeting, and Community Board 9 members responded in kind. Total chaos reigned, with lots of shouting and name calling; the board could not keep order and fanned the flames.

CB9 District Manager Pearl Miles yelled “shut up” at the crowd repeatedly (there is a video), District Leader Geoffrey Davis refused to relinquish the microphone, and the police were summoned multiple times to keep order. (For a play-by-play, including an outrageous exchange between the crowd and District Leader for the 43rd Assembly Diana Richardson, read the story on Brooklyn Brief.)

Eventually, under pressure, the board took a vote on whether or not to rescind an earlier decision to study the rezoning. The vote to rescind passed, but then it turned out that it really didn’t, according to New York City rules for community board votes.

In the words of Q at Parkside blogger Tim Thomas, who favors the rezoning (or at least is not opposed to it):

Karim Camara and reps from every major official, from the Mayor on down, were there and they were absolutely floored, speechless. The guy from Yvette Clarke’s followed me out to the parking lot with eyes wide saying “how could you let this happen? this was INSANE!” I told him L’shanah Tova and rode home.

Meanwhile, upzoning opponent and MTOPP member Adrian Untermyer filed suit yesterday to get a copy of the community board’s bylaws.

At issue is whether Prospect Lefferts Gardens will rezone to end high-rise development, which has recently taken off in the neighborhood. Some residents blame tall buildings for gentrification while others say high-rise development will bring much needed affordable housing to the area.

CB9: Chaos and Cacophony Leave Empire Boulevard Vulnerable and Fate Uncertain [BK Brief]
If You Want To Know How Things Got Outa Hand…[Q at Parkside]
Wow. That Was Weird [Q at Parkside]
Correct That. The Motion Didn’t Pass [Q at Parkside]
Alicia Boyd: Proud Townhome Owner, Anti-Gentrification Activist [Q at Parkside]
Vote to Rescind Crown Heights Rezoning Study Sparks Confusion [DNA]
Residents Rip Proposed “Upzoning” on PLG-Crown Heights Border [NY Daily News]
Prospect Lefferts Gardens Residents Fight Rezoning on Empire Boulevard [Brownstoner]
Photo by DNAinfo

atlantic-yards-modular-building-b2-flatbush-brooklyn

As Skanska and Forest City prepare to meet in court tomorrow, Atlantic Yards Report has unearthed documents that detail a long list of problems with the construction of the modular tower, B2. To make a long story short, the tower could leak.

In more detail, there have been lots of problems with the alignment of the modules, according to Skanksa. For example, one problem is the tolerances between match plates, which tie together the modules. The original drawings called for a 1/4 inch tolerance but in the field the bolt holes only allowed a tolerance of 1/16th of an inch. To correct this flaw, the holes were enlarged, but apparently they became too big (1 and 3/4 of an inch), which “created the potential” for misalignment, according to the documents. The factory in the Navy Yard was also too small to allow for efficient production.

A hearing for a preliminary injunction to reopen the factory takes place tomorrow morning in Manhattan. Click through to Atlantic Yards Report for tons more insight on the construction issues Skanska is alleging. Also, the problems with the modular construction could freeze lending for modular projects in the area, according to a story in The New York Daily News.

Skanska Warns of Possible Leaks in B2 Modular Tower [AYR]
As B2 Tower Sits Unfinished, Debate Over Modular Construction Rises [NY Daily News]

B2-042214

Late Friday Forest City Ratner issued yet another salvo in the war with Skanska over their jointly operated and now-shuttered modular factory. “FCRC Modular representatives tried to enter the factory today and were barred by Skanska,” said a press release we received.

So, the release goes on, yet another lawsuit has been filed — this one by FCR Modular, the Forest City half of the partnership that with Skanska Modular runs the joint venture called FC+Skanska, according to the release.

To make a long story short, it alleges breach of contract by Skanska for shutting down the factory and asks the court for an injunction to reopen the factory “immediately.” Perhaps last week’s request to take over the factory was laying the groundwork for this suit?

In any case, it occurs to us that the merits of the case — even if, say, the allegations of both parties are true and they are both at fault — Skanska for poor management and Forest City for a non-workable modular design — may not matter. The winner may well turn out to be the one who can prove breach of contract.

Photo by Curbed

626-flatbush-aerial-100313

The judge overseeing the case against the Hudson Companies’ development of a 23-story mixed-use building at 626 Flatbush Avenue in Prospect Lefferts Gardens has lifted the temporary restraining order against construction on the site, saying the plaintiffs “have not demonstrated a likelihood of success on the merits” of the case.

The case is still ongoing, but a lengthy written decision said the environmental review that was already conducted was adequate. Read the full text of the decision here.

Rendering by Marvel Architects

626-flatbush-blockade-3-060214

Early Friday morning, a group of opponents to the 23-story tower Hudson Companies plans for 626 Flatbush Avenue in Prospect Lefferts Gardens spontaneously blockaded some cement trucks that had arrived to pour the building’s foundation, according to a protestor who was present and sent us these photos. The protesters prevented the cement trucks from entering the site for about an hour or more, until the police arrived. One person was arrested.

Later that morning, at a previously scheduled hearing at the New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan, a judge issued a temporary restraining order against the pouring of the foundation while a court case concerning an environmental review of the project is proceeding.

A rally against the project is planned for this Friday, June 6, at City Hall.

While the lawsuit is likely to be dismissed, said Hudson Companies principal David Kramer, in any case the as-of-right project will proceed even if litigation requires modifying the financing. “While some neighbors might be unhappy that a new, 23-story building is being developed next to them, there’s no reason to demonize Hudson in all their inflammatory comments,” he said. “We’re very proud of this development, which will offer new housing, new affordable housing, new retail stores for Flatbush Avenue and new community facility space for nonprofit use.”

The Prospect Park East Network (PPEN) contends Hudson could put up a shorter building with the same square footage but a different foundation on the existing lot.

To see the press release issued by the Prospect Park East Network about the temporary restraining order and rally, Hudson’s full response, and more photos of the protest and the site Friday morning, click through to the jump. (more…)

Tenants at Homewood Gardens Estates in East Flatbush claim their landlord is trying to push them out in favor of white tenants willing to pay higher rents, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court. The suit alleges that landlords Yeshaya Wasserman, Shay Wasserman and Yitzchok Rambod ignored repair requests, forced evictions and offered cash buyouts, the New York Post reported. The East Flatbush residents also say the landlords consistently refuse to make repairs for black tenants, fail to cash rent checks and delay the delivery of front door keys.

“In contrast, white tenants move into renovated apartments, their rent checks are cashed, they receive monthly rent statements and they are not subject to harassment,” the suit states, according to the Post.

The lawsuit also claims black residents have seen their rents double, while white tenants have seen minimal rent increases at lease renewal time. Wasserman and his partners bought the buildings on Brooklyn Avenue and Hawthorne Street in 2009. The state’s Tenant Protect Unit has been investigating Wasserman since last fall, when it subpoenaed documents from all eight of his properties in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn Landlords Pushing Black Tenants out for Whites: Suit [NY Post]
Closing Bell: State Investigates Crown Heights, Flatbush Landlord for Tenant Abuse [Brownstoner]

Image via Google Maps

boardwalk-garden-030514

Coney Island gardeners outraged over the razing of their garden to make way for the redevelopment of the landmarked Childs restaurant filed a lawsuit against the city today, according to a press release they sent us. The 16-year-old community garden on West 22nd Street was legally a park and Parks Department property, according to the statement.

A consultant for the city told The New York Post the garden was “decommissioned” as a park in 2004.

The Boardwalk Community Garden, Coney Island and the New York City Community Garden Coalition filed an Article 78 petition challenging the environmental review and approval of the outdoor amphitheater project, which was championed by former Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz. They plan a press conference on the steps of Brooklyn Borough Hall at noon today to announce the lawsuit.

Coney Islanders Want to Protect Their Garden From Marty’s Theater [Brownstoner]
Photo via Inhabitat

lich-042613

A settlement has been reached in the Long Island College Hospital court case, both parties announced yesterday afternoon, but the details of the settlement will not be available until this afternoon.

The battle over the future of the hospital is a familiar one in Brooklyn these days, as the rising value of land here prompts libraries, churches and, most recently, Junior’s Cheesecake to sell all or a portion of their properties to developers to make over into bigger, denser buildings of luxury residences.

So far, what is known of the LICH settlement is that SUNY (LICH’s owner) must solicit new proposals for the property. SUNY will be required to give more weight to proposals that would keep LICH a full-service hospital. SUNY will be allowed to withdraw from running the hospital in May. Bidders must meet a minimum price in line with the value of the property, estimated to be around $228,000,000 or $278,000,000, said The New York Times.

In recent days, community groups proposed a community-based co-op health care system throughout the borough. Hospital boards of directors, including at struggling Interfaith in Bed Stuy, would be replaced by new boards made up of local residents, patients and employees, DNAinfo reported. LICH advocates are also calling for a study of the health care needs of the LICH service area, The Brooklyn Eagle said.

SUNY has been accused of contempt of court for ignoring a judge’s orders to remain open and operating at the same level of service as it offered in July. Developers who put in bids are now saying the process is unfair, said the Eagle. LICH supporters and plaintiffs include the Brooklyn Heights Association, Boerum Hill Association, Cobble Hill Association, Carroll Gardens Neighborhood Association, Wykoff Gardens Association, Riverside Tenants Association, the New York State Nurses Association (NYSNA), Concerned Physicians of LICH and 1199 SEIU.

Mayor de Blasio and Public Advocate Letitia James will announce the details of the settlement this afternoon at City Hall.

A partial steel structure is up at 297 North 7th Street, where the project is the subject of a lawsuit. The building is supposed to be a nine-story school with 34,827 square feet, according to new building permits.

We’re not sure if the site has been active recently. When we went by we didn’t see any workers, but it was after hours on a weekday. After building permits were initially approved in August, days later two real estate firms sued the developer for allegedly failing to pay a commission they were due for finding a tenant for the space, private school company MetSchools, as The Real Deal reported at the time.

The developer is Harry Einhorn – yes, that same Harry Einhorn we wrote about yesterday. He was convicted of fraud in 2002 and has been in the news for raising the rent on a senior center and day care nearby as well as plans to build a huge condo development on 4th Avenue.