Goldenrod Now Open in Old P.J. Hanley’s Space in Carroll Gardens

goldenrod-court-street-0813

Opened in 1874, P.J. Hanley’s at 449 Court Street in Carroll Gardens held the title of the oldest bar in Brooklyn until it closed back in March. The old-school space has just relaunched as Goldenrod, a reference to a beer made by Brooklyn’s Otto Huber Brewery at the turn of the century. Owner James McGown commissioned a couple of new brews from Brooklyn Brewery and Olde Saratogi Brewing Co. and is serving them up alongside 20 or so other beer selections. In addition to the impressive interior, Goldenrod has ample outdoor seating. GMAP

Oldest Bar in Brooklyn is Now the Newest Bar in Brooklyn [Thrillist] GMAP
What Was Once P.J. Hanley’s, Brooklyn’s Oldest Bar, Reopens As Goldenrod [Gothamist]

2 Comment

  • E.G. Haviland is listed as a grocer at 449 Court St in the 1885 and 1889 directories and 9/11/1889 Eagle. James H. Wynne is listed as a saloon keeper at 449 Court St in the 3/25/1893 Real Estate Rec. and Guide and subsequent issues and the 2/22/1896 Eagle. Might help narrow down the opening date.

  • James H Wynee sign the lease to Otto Huber Brewing Company in 1893